Sunday 8 February 2015

Kite 'n Gulls

A good start to the day with a Red Kite slowly flying W over Woodland Drive at 09.00 just as I was leaving for Old Moor. A frustrating end, though. Spent the last couple of hours at Langsett Res. with Mick Cunningham and Nick Mallinson in what started off as decent conditions for the roost. A bird I thought was a first winter Med Gull appeared to drop in at about 16.30 hrs but quickly disappeared as misty, blustery conditions suddenly set in. I had to let this go but it was a decent roost with c.2000 Bhg's, 20 Herrings and single Lesser and Great-Black backs. I aim to try again in the week.

The new scrape at Carlton Marsh is looking good. Not quite finished yet but two major objectives have been set. The first is for myself and the Carlton Martians to find the site's first Temminck's Stint and secondly to deter any dog walkers off the southern meadow. I feel the former will be the easier of the two!
Cheers
Russ
http://shapesthatsometimesfly.blogspot.co.uk/

2 comments:

Upland Tyke said...

All the best with it. I'll bi coming down for a look around. Cheers.

Unknown said...

Cheers Stu. Dunlin is a great bird down here these days, ne'er mind Temminck's Stint!