Thursday 4 December 2014

Cudworth

A chance encounter with my mate Richard Williams this afternoon culminated in something quite unusual. Richard told me he had picked up what he thought was a Jack Snipe this morning at Park Avenue (actually on the street). He took it home and placed under some Nasturtiums at the bottom of his nearby Sidcop Road, garden. He took me to see if it was still there and, sure enough it was, but it was in fact a Water Rail. The Rail's wings were okay and it was in good condition. I think this bird is probably of continental origin grounded through exhaustion. Richard left me to take the bird to Carlton Marsh (half a mile to the east) where he released it on the dike side. Although he took some photos of it, he didn't know how to send them to me over the wire.

No comments: