Wednesday 19 June 2013

Carlton Marsh

Until today I had convinced myself that Sedge Warbler had failed after earlier singing birds appeared to have moved on. However, one was singing this afternoon. If our situation is anything to go by, this species is in trouble!
This mornings lepidoptera count included 9 Speckled Wood, 10 Small Heath, 3 Large Skipper, 3 Orange-tip, 3 Common Blue and a late Dingy Skipper. 7 Four Spotted Chaser and 3 Broad Bodied Chasers were  also present. (R. Hibbert & L. Corrall)

Cudworth
As it was the warmest night so far this year with a minimum of 16.8c, I was hopeful for some good moths in the garden. Little owl called while I was setting up the trap. Moths included, The Shears, Peppered Moth, White Ermine (2) Nutmeg, Mottled Rustic and 2 pristine Elephant Hawk Moths

 Peppered Moth
 Elephant Hawk Moth
White Ermine

1 comment:

Steve Denny said...

I don't think you are wrong, unfortunately , it's quite desperate for numbers at Wintersett too.