Monday 30 January 2012

Bean missed by rushing about!

Wintersett strikes again with a single Bean Goose (Taiga) being found with Greylags in the CP fields. Later the bird joined the local geese on the CP lake where it started to feed on the south bank although it was very wary at all times. Several birders walked straight past it despite me waving, and made their way to the fields instead which resulted in them dipping!

The goose displays characteristics of the Taiga race A. f. fabalis including the extensive orange on bill, large size (Greylag size) and a seemingly longer neck and bill and therefore is most likely to be the mentioned race.(see images below)

Other birds included 2 pinkfeet and American Wigeon on the CP and drake Smew and Black-necked Grebe still on Wintersett.



Bean Goose Anglers CP. All photos Carl Dixon

5 comments:

Mick Cunningham said...

Hi Carl

looks v big and swan-necked but size and amount of orange on bill not always reliable for separating tundra from taiga I think. There's a good article in old birding world by (john?) oats on this (don't have BW to hand). He cites bill structure as critical. Tundra deep-based with large, open, grin patch at base of bill. Taiga no or slight grin-patch at bill base but mandibles then come together more as a straight line. I think 'advanced Nils' also says taiga's upper-mandible covers lower mandible towards bill tip. If you check online pics of tundra and your bird I think you'll reach a definitive conclusion on racial ID of your bird!

Cheers

Mick

Carl Dixon said...

Thanks for the info Mick. I'm fully aware of the difficulty in separating the races with the features I have mentioned. I wasn't actually claiming it was a Taiga, rather it seemed more probable. I have looked at a number of photos and realised there is so much overlap within the different birds that I'm not sure whether they have been ID correctly! I have only had one sighting of bean geese prior to this and therefore I admit I have no experience on this species.

thanks,

Carl

Mick Cunningham said...

Hi Carl, I can see I was being too cryptic! Looks pretty good for taiga to me. Good find.
regards

mick

Mick Cunningham said...

btw - any good pix of fairburn taiga to see if it's same bird (assuming taiga not there any more)

Carl Dixon said...

All the photos I've seen of the Fairburn bird are terrible, but I think it likely to be the same bird.
I can now see what you meant from your previous comment which I misinterpreted! I thought it was Taiga from the moment I saw it and couldnt understand why you were questioning it . . . but now I know!

cheers